Due to the government response to the COVID-19 scare, the JH Gun Club shooting range will be closed until April 17, 2020. Following is an update from the JHGC President:
Herb Hazen Memorial Accuracy Challenge
You Can’t Miss Fast Enough To Win!
A special pistol competition will be held at Jackson Hole Gun Club on (DATE TBA – we are sorry, but the response to the Covid-19 panic makes it worth delaying this match for a time). The pistol completion will be a modified IDPA-style event, with a bias towards accuracy over speed.
Please watch this space for more information, and check back often.
So what is it?
This match is an IDPA-style, pistol-only competition consisting of a number of stages, divided between short stages, referred to as “speed shoots” and longer stages, referred to as “field courses”.
Scoring has been modified to reward accuracy over speed, with greater penalties (more time added) for less accurate shot placement.
Herb loved shooting, talking about shooting and helping others improve. He was a mentor to many and had an incredible sense of humor! We think he would get a kick out of having this video posted of his thoughts about his passion for shooting! Long live the wonderful memories we have of Herb!
Friday Night Under the Lights – Shotgun Clays in the Winter
Come shoot Clays with us!
Open to the public Friday nights from 5:30 pm ‘till 8 pm
Get rid of the winter blues, have a cup of coffee, and shoot some clay birds.
We are trying something new, come challenge yourself!
A HUGE thanks to Bill Holman for making this happen!
Friday nights $7.50 a round for 25 birds. Just bring your gun and shells
Clay birds are also available to members only during the daytime on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in the 22 bay.
On these days you must have a card in order to operate the trap machine, which can be purchased from the range master on the weekend or on Friday nights.
Range rules for the rifle bay apply for hot and cold range on all days
Jackson Hole Gun Club
5570 US-89, Jackson, WY
Shotgun Clays in the Winter
Guns exist. Like it or not, they exist.
Here in Wyoming, most households have numerous guns, many of which are unlocked or otherwise accessible to youth. The J.H. Gun Club is not interested in making political statements. We ARE interested in helping you prepare your child for a safe life.
Chainsaws, guns and bicycles are tools that many people use. Every year a tiny percentage of users are injured. We don’t know much about chainsaws or bicycles, however we would be honored to help you reduce your children’s risk of firearms injuries! Register for a Youth Firearms Safety Training workshop on September 7, 2019 from 530pm to 7pm!
Registration Required Individually for Each Child
We invite you to register your child aged 8 to 13 for a fun Youth Firearms Safety Training workshop.
We wish to thank Shepard Humphries and the JHXG for again volunteering to partner with us. “Boring teaching doesn’t stick” says Shepard, a local firearms coach and family safety security consultant. “Generally, if a person thinks they are learning rather than simply thinking they are having the ‘best time ever’ the teacher has room to grow.” Shepard’s innovative education style focuses on fun, and in the long run the result is that learning has taken place at a deeper level.
The board of our not-for-profit Jackson Hole Gun Club is passionate about firearms safety, and we are excited to help parents lower their child’s risk of accidental injury by firearm. “We are excited for this opportunity” said Collin Vaughn, a JHGC board member and local Realtor, “If this workshop results in one kid thinking twice and acting more responsibly in the future, I will be thrilled.” A crew of world class #shootinjh firearms trainers will provide a 90-minute Long Range Shooting Workshop for youth aged 8 to 13 on September 7th, 2019 from 530pm to 7pm.
- The Jackson Hole Shooting Experience will provide the coaches, guns, ammunition, hearing and eye protection.
- The Jackson Hole Gun Club will provide the venue for an evening of fun!
- A parent or guardian must sign liability waivers and remain present for the entire event.
Registration Required for Each Child
- Students will learn to safely handle rifles.
- Students will learn basic rifle shooting techniques
- Students will shoot .22LR caliber rifles and some will even achieve hits at 500 yards with a .223 rifle!
Youth Firearms Safety Training Registration Form:
The JH Gun Club has teamed with local extreme long range shooting instructors to provide two workshops in early September in Jackson Hole. If you would like to learn more and improve your rifle skills for this hunting season, we invite you to register for our rifle training in Jackson Hole, date TBA (This does NOT count as the state mandated Hunter’s Education course)
We noticed that many hunters do not practice with their rifles year-round, and instead pull their rifle out of the closet a couple days before hunting season opens. They bring their rifle to the range along with one or two boxes of ammunition. Despite having hunted for 40 years, they shoot with poor form and are not aware of basic rifle shooting fundamentals. They twist and turn dials on their scope in hopes that they can get them sighted in, only to fail. They leave the range in a huff, buy more ammunition and return to the range to again have a frustrating experience. We thought, “There must be a better way!” 🙂
A solution for Pre-Hunt Rifle Training in Jackson Hole
Here at the Jackson Hole Gun Club, our mission is to help firearms users safely and ethically enjoy shooting sports. We do not want you to shoot an elk in the leg. Rather, we want to help you develop your abilities to make an ethical shot. We have teamed with Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries of Nomad Rifleman to offer a couple workshops. Scott & Shepard offer similar rifle training in Jackson Hole for hunters on a private basis and have agreed to team with JHGC for a couple fun and informative group classes.
2020 Dates TBA – Registration is REQUIRED and SPACE IS LIMITED.
Option #1 is full:
September 7th, 2019 with Scott Austin
- This semi-private workshop is limited to 4 students, and is similar to THIS.
- Scott will assist in making sure scopes are properly installed to proper torque specs, will make sure your bedding bolts are tight etc.
- He will then lead students in sighting rifles in.
- As time allows, Scott will lead students in honing their skills shooting from various positions and will have various monopods, bipods and tripods for students to test and evaluate.
Class is full, registration is closed, sorry.
(Shepard “is no Scott” but his class has openings still… see below:)
Option #2: September 8th, 2019 1:30pm to 3:30pm with Shepard Humphries
- This workshop is limited to 8 students.
- The first hour will consist of classroom training including exterior ballistics, sighting a rifle/scope in properly, field shooting positions and more.
- The second hour will consist of students pairing with each other and sighting their rifles in. Shepard will be available to answer questions and assist.
1st Hour Workshop topics:
- How do I adjust my scope up or down or to the left or right?
- Why am I missing the 200 yard gong target?
- Why is my scope so hard to see through?
- How proficient should I be if I want to be an ethical hunter?
- What are my gun’s and my personal limitations?
- Why do I seem to shoot will sometimes and other times miss shots?
- What exactly do the BDC lines in my scope reticle mean?
- Do I need to aim differently if I am shooting at a steep mountain angle?
- Doors open at 1:20pm.
- Doors close at 1:30pm sharp.
- Only registered students may attend!
Registration request form HERE.
We welcome you to come visit us anytime between 1pm and 4pm for a tour of the range or feel welcome to bring your guns and shoot! The normal day fee of $12 for adults and $2 for children is waived during our family day open house afternoon from 1pm to 4pm!
*BRING THE FAMILY! *EXPERIENCE THE RANGE *GET A TOUR *REFRESHMENTS *GUN RAFFLE
We have teamed with the Jackson Hole Shooting Experience to provide fun 45-minute All-Inclusive shooting experiences throughout the afternoon. Each experience includes use of eye and ear protection, ammunition, instruction and use of JHSE guns! Sign up below, but make it fast as spots are filling up quickly. Please make sure if you sign up you are 100% committed to attending as spots are coveted and we want as much participation as possible!
When you sign up below, you will also be entered in a drawing for a Ruger 10/22 rifle! (participants under 18 must be accompanied by an adult)
Sign up for a free 45 minute JHXG shooting experience
on Family Day Open House and be entered in a drawing for
a FREE Ruger 10/22 rifle!
Steel Challenge in Jackson Hole
As you might have noticed on our calendar, we now have a steel challenge on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month! This is a fun match!!!
Guns and Gear
You may bring any IDPA, USPSA or Cowboy Action SASS gun. You must have a safe and high quality holster. Start position is with wrists above shoulders.
You may also use a .22 pistol or rifle with iron sights of optics of your choice. With these guns your starting position is Low Ready
Steel Challenge Course of Fire
There are 8 different stages in this discipline and we will typically set up 3 stages for each evening.
Each stage is 5 shots and will be run 5 times, each time is called a “string.” Because we are kindly folks, your lousiest string will be tossed away, and we will add the remaining 4 strings for your score.
When you come to the firing line, bring an empty gun and enough ammo / magazines for the 5 strings (25 shots).
Entry fee is only $5 per gun, and you are welcome to shoot different guns. In other words, you can use a USPSA race gun, then a cowboy action revolver, then a 22 caliber carbine. Doing this would make your entry fee $15 for the evening.
Safety. We are very strict with safety and we use the IDPA/USPSA protocols.
- When you get out of your car at the JHGC, you may not have a loaded gun.
- Do not load your gun until a Match Director gives you the order.
- Do not handle your gun until you are on the firing line and the range is hot and you are ordered by a Match Director.
- If you have any safety questions, please ask the Match Director before making your move.
- Always keep your guns pointed downrange with no humans forward of the muzzle.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
We want to extend a huge THANK YOU to the Jackson Hole Shooting Sports Foundation for a grant of over $7,000 to buy the steel targets for this match! Also thanks to the Jackson Hole Shooting Experience for the loan of an ATV & Trailer that makes setup and take-down much easier! Also a huge thanks to Mark Roundtree and Scott Grauer for their passion for this sport and their countless hours making this steel challenge series happen!
Portions of the range will be closed several times throughout December.
- The Rifle Bay will be closed on December 2nd from 6pm to 9pm for IDPA.
- The classroom will be in use on Saturday December 5th for a Wyoming Concealed Carry (CCW) class, all other portions will be open.
- On December 7th & 8th, all portions of the range will be closed from 8am to 5pm for Law Enforcement.
- On December 1oth & 11th, all portions of the range will be closed from 8am to 5pm for Law Enforcement.
- On December 14th & 15th, all portions of the range will be closed from 5pm to 10pm for Law Enforcement.
- The Rifle Bay will be closed on December 16th from 6pm to 9pm for IDPA.
New members classes are on Dec 5th and 19th beginning at 9am.
The November 27, 2015 Turkey Shoot is going to happen, click HERE to learn more!
The Jackson Hole Shooting Experience crew have again teamed with the Jackson Hole Shooting Sports Foundation, our Gun Club and local sponsors to provide our Jackson Hole community with this the 4th annual 22 Turkey Shoot, again without injury to any real turkeys!
This event is again open to all ages, and if you don’t have a gun, hearing protection, eye protection or shooting experience – no problem! We are passionate about sharing our love of shooting sports with folks, both experienced and novice!
Click HERE to learn more about Turkey Shoot 2015!
The Jackson Hole Shooting Sports Foundation was organized to promote shooting sports education, safety, participation and ethics.
We organize and promote programs and projects designed to foster shooting safety, increase the public’s understanding of recreational shooting sports, promote greater participation in these sports and the development of infrastructure at local shooting facilities.
June 1 - October 31
Non-member hours: Fri-Sun 10-5
November 1 - May 31
Non-member hours: Sat & Sun 10-5